The Alternative Spring Break Project

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Here’s to all the little things I wish I never took for granted. Over spring break an incredibly diverse and talented group of Greek UNT students and I were given the opportunity to travel to New Orleans to work with the St. Bernard project. The St. Bernard project is a non-profit organization that was established after Hurricane Katrina to help rebuild the homes that were lost in this tragedy. This organization has, through the use of countless volunteers and AmeriCorps employees, been an integral part in reestablishing the community in New Orleans. Working with this organization was a humbling and eye opening experience. I have often found it far too easy to forget how fortunate I am just in that I can attend college or even more simply, because I have a home. This trip really helped me to put my problems in perspective and made me realize that there are a lot of little things in my life that I do not appreciate enough. I strongly recommend this trip specifically, because one of the things that impacted me the most was the fact that it could happen to anyone. This was a natural disaster; a tornado could hit Denton tomorrow and everyone here could be in the same position as those in New Orleans. I would want someone to help my family rebuild their home if that happened and I am sure others feel the same way. Also, it was a blast, and a great way to get to know some of the students that make up this extraordinary campus.  So, if you’re looking for an unforgettable, life changing experience look no further than the Center for Leadership and Service at UNT, They sponsor the trip every year. I for one will definitely be going back so I hope to see you there.


                                                        Devin Thomas, PC Spring 16
Image may contain: 16 people, people smiling, people standing, sky, tree and outdoor

No comments :

Post a Comment