An Open Letter to the "Not-So-Sorority Girl"

Thursday, August 11, 2016

When I came to college, I had no clue about Greek life except what I saw in movies like House Bunny and Legally Blonde. (I’m easily more of a Sydney White type of girl.) When fall recruitment happened, I laughed every day at my suitemate (who I didn’t really know) as she freaked out about outfits while running down the hall in heels trying to get to her group in time. 

My two other roommates and I, in an effort to be friendly, surprised her at her bid day and my first thought was “Yikes, I have never seen so much glitter and white converse in my whole life.” I looked around and fell victim to the most common stereotype of Greek life - thinking how ridiculous it was that these girls paid so much money just for friends. (Spoiler alert: that’s not how it works.)


So how did I become a Zeta?

Long story short, I was recognized by and old high school friend at bid day who was in Greek life. As we talked reminisced about high school and she told me about her Greek experience, she reminded me of how much I need a strong support system and fun plans on the weekends.

When I was offered a bid, it felt so ludicrous that I could belong to a sorority that I didn’t even talk to my parents about it. I never though of myself as “that kind of girl.” But in the end they wooed me with frozen yogurt. I got a chance to hang out with my high school friend and two of her sisters for a fro-yo date and fell in love with them and with the sisterhood ZTA has to offer.  

Feeling completely new and clueless after accepting my bid, I was introduced to my overwhelmingly large pledge class and it was nerve-wracking. I didn’t know what I had gotten myself into.  


What did I get myself into?

1. Spirit/Tradition:  There are innumerable traditions we have as a chapter, in Greek life, and as UNT students but the one that stands out the most for me is Homecoming. Usually, all the Greek life chapters are paired into teams who compete in various competitions during Homecoming including creating floats for the parade. Yes, most schools do this but last year (my first year) ZTA challenged the status quo. Instead of spending countless hours and dollars towards building a float for a 30 minute parade, Team 8 (Zeta Tau Alpha, Pi Kappa Alpha, and Delta Sigma Phi) put that money and time towards rebuilding a local park. I have never been more proud to be a part of something. So many hours and so much manpower went towards such an amazing project that will last so much longer and bring so much more happiness than a parade float. Together our chapters put in over 800 hours of community service and I think that is amazing. 

2. Philanthropy: I wear pink because I not only feel great in it, but it supports a great cause - ZTA’s philanthropy: Breast Cancer Education and Awareness. I’m proud to wear pink. During our Pink-Out game, (a football game where we encourage everyone to wear pink to bring awareness to breast cancer), we teamed up with UNT athletics to create a human ribbon on the field at halftime. It was AWESOME. I was in color guard all four years of high school and being on the Mean Green field brought back so many memories. I was so proud to be on the field with all my sisters in our pink shirts. (I was actually so excited that I missed the group picture because I called my dad to tell him how cool I was.)

3. Growth: Though I am a newer member, I can hear the older members talk about the place our chapter used to be in. We’ve never been unsuccessful but the amount we have grown over the last few years is tremendous. In fact, our chapter has now received the Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation Crown Chapter award for two consecutive years now. (We just found out last month, and we are SO excited!) Reading our president’s blog post about her experience at ZTA Convention with two other leaders accepting that award for us and feeling the excitement as our chapter congratulated each other made my heart so happy. We have worked so hard and being recognized for it means the world.

4. Commitment: Zeta is forever. This is one of those things you’ll hear everyone say: “it’s not four years, its for life” blah blah blah. But listen - we have an amazing alum group. They are so involved with our chapter and it’s incredible to know that even after you graduate, you’re still just as much of a Zeta as you were on Initiation Day (which is the BEST DAY EVER). Not only do you have strong alumni connections, we have advisors that go above and beyond for us every day. Knowing everything they do is strictly on a volunteer basis proves to me that this “Zeta world” means so much more than your four years as a collegiate.


What’s the moral of the story?

At UNT I’m 6 hours from home and everything I knew in high school. Let’s be honest, it’s a scary time. Exciting, but scary. For me Greek life wasn’t something I knew I wanted in my life until I was being invited in with sisterhood and ice cream. I NEVER thought I would be in a sorority but I am so glad I’m here because I have loved every minute of it.





Sophia Jackson, PC Fall’ 15

No comments :

Post a Comment