Going Zeta

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I accepted my bid from ZTA. Growing up I had always loved making new friends, trying new things and seeing new places. I had only moved to North Texas a year before starting school at UNT and I hadn’t met a lot of people here yet. At my transfer orientation I made a friend that was just as lost, confused, and friendly as I was, so we stuck by each other’s sides and made it through our first experience at this new school together. We had both thought about participating in fall recruitment; she was dead set and I was still iffy and unsure if it was something that I would fit in with, but I made her promise to let me know how it goes and she did. She went Zeta and as she started introducing me to her new sisters I realized that every single girl I met was incredibly friendly and not at all what I thought of as stereotypical sorority girls. As I continued to meet members of Zeta I was convinced I had to look into it more. I had my heart set on becoming a part of that sisterhood; I had only seen a glimpse but that was all the convincing I needed.




            The first day I met my new member class was on our spring bid day. There were only three of us at the time and I don’t know anything about them. I was equal parts excited and scared to start this new journey but as soon as I walked into the house I knew I had made the right decision. Bid day was all smiles and sisterhood, which only solidified the reasons I had wanted to join in the first place. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly and it was better than I ever could have imagined. Over the next couple of weeks our three-person new member class grew to five and these other four girls have become some of my closest friends. We have laughed, cried, and gone through so much together already. We balance each other out, and support each other all the same. New membership has been a whirlwind of being lost, confused, and slightly overwhelmed but I am still having the time of my life. There isn’t one single event or moment from my semester that I can say has been more fun or exciting than the other because it is the entire process that I hold close to my heart. From big/little reveal, to sisterhood events, to initiation, and new member meetings, this experience has been life changing.




We each have our own special bond with our big sisters and our families, but the bond I found with my little new member class of 5 is something so unique and special to me and I never would have had that if I hadn’t signed my bid to join ZTA. I know these girls have my back no matter what and I will always be there for them. We were all drawn to ZTA for similar reasons and this sisterhood gave us a sense of belonging and the beginnings of some really beautiful friendships in the making. I love that I can go to the house or show up to an event by myself and still never feel alone. This experience so far, and this sisterhood, is so incredible and I hope I can share my love for my sisters and love for ZTA with future new members. Thanks to all that I’ve learned from the beautiful heart and minds of each of my new sisters in ZTA, I will soon get to be those open arms that welcome home the next group of new members to the best sisterhood there is.



Megan Bush, PC Spring ‘16


No comments :

Post a Comment