We Live the Creed

Monday, March 14, 2016


"To prepare for service and learn the nobility of serving, thereby earning the right to be served," is probably the line of the creed that has always most resonated with me. I am definitely known for being active in the community and always want the opportunity to give back. It is so rewarding and amazing to watch what you do benefit someone else.

This is also a line from the creed that I see my chapter uphold on a daily basis. Of course being in Greek Life is fun, but if anyone thinks that all we do is have date parties and formal, they have something to learn. Our philanthropy, Breast Cancer Education and Awareness, is part of the core of who we are nationally and something our sisters are incredibly passionate about. Every semester we do as much as we can for the opportunity to educate other young women and raise money for the cause.

Through it all, my favorite part of our philanthropy would definitely have to be when we get to be active in philanthropy events like ACS walks where we get to be survivor ambassadors and interact with those directly effected by breast cancer. The women I have had the honor of meeting are so strong and have overcome so much more than I could ever imagine. As women, this is something that touches us all in some way and at the end of the day we are truly working to better the world for each other. 1 in 8 women will be affected by breast cancer in their lifetime meaning that out of the 109 women in the Gamma Phi chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha at UNT, statistically about 14 of my sisters will get breast cancer. A sad but serious fact but something that makes the philanthropic work we do even more important.

Even apart from our nationally philanthropy, my sisters take every advantage of the volunteer opportunities in our communities. Each semester, we complete over 1,200 hours of volunteer work aside from the time we spend raising money and awareness for breast cancer. This week is spring break and as many college students around the US are partying on beaches, a group of my sisters are volunteering as a part of the Alternative Spring Break program. They are dedicating their one week away from classes to help rebuild homes in New Orleans and I think that is miraculous. 

I don’t truly believe that anyone can earn the right to be served but I do believe that if we do as much as we can, we can hope for our future sisters and the women around us to help us in our own times of need. There are few people in my life that I have seen work as hard as my sisters and I am so proud to be a part of such a dedicated organization and support group.


Kayla Piper, Academic Achievement

No comments :

Post a Comment